Europalia Romania: Kinema Ikon
Thu 10.1020:00 - 02:00BALZAAL
Vooruit and the Europalia Arts Festival are teaming up once again. After the 2017 edition of Europalia, which focused on Indonesia, this year’s guest country is Romania. During VIDEODROOM you can catch the world premiere of the lost shorts by the legendary art collective Kinema Ikon, with unique soundtracks by Belgian and Romanian artists, including Inne Eysermans, Ben Bertrand and Céline Gillain. Also on the programme: a live AV show by Bucharest’s best kept secret Khidja and a DJ set by the young Romanian producer Eirwud Mudwasser. For fans of adventurous electronica!
During Romania’s communist era, the artists of Kinema Ikon came up with a way to make short films by experimenting with offcuts of celluloid and re-editing existing film reels. A challenging and risky thing to do under a regime of censorship and exorbitant state control. In step with Western trends, they created their own material – films of rare beauty: kinetic abstractions, scratch animation, surrealist films, non-figurative, dynamic forms painted directly on the film, visual essays, films reconstructed using fragments of material reality, etc.
Due to the clandestine creation of these short films, no soundtracks were composed for them. Instead they used Western music that was passed around in secret by intellectuals and music lovers at the time. The Kinema Ikon multimedia atelier has gone through various phases. From 1970 to 1989 they mainly made experimental films. 1990 to 1993 was predominantly a period of mixed media. In 1994 the group started publishing the magazine Intermedia and the collective has since focused on ‘hyper-’ and ‘hybrid’ media.
Europalia Romania commissioned ten musicians – five Romanian and five Belgian – to compose new scores for ten short films. Their showing at VIDEODROOM will be the first time that these short films have been seen outside of Romania since 1990, when they were presented at Centre Pompidou in Paris.
- Viorel Simulov: ‘Peisaj Lichid’, 1988 (Liquid Landscape) - rescored by Makunouchi Bento
- Ioan Pleș: ‘Efecte de Împrimăvărare’, 1978 (Spring-coming effects) - rescored by Maxime Jacobs
- Romulus Budiu: ‘Singur cu Zăpada’, 1975 (Alone With Snow) - rescored by SelfMadeMusic
- Iosif Stroia: ‘Autoportret’, 1984 (Self-Portrait) - rescored by Velvet C
- Alexandru Pecican: ‘Exercițiu Subliminal’, 1979 (Subliminal Exercise) - rescored by Dyslex
- Emanuel Țeț: ‘Vânătoarea de Păsări’, 1980 (Bird Hunting) - rescored by Ben Bertrand
- Valentin Constantin: ‘Început de Coerență’, 1981 (Beginning of Coherence) - rescored by Monica Vlad
- George Sabau: ‘Decupaje’, 1980-85 (Cutouts) - rescored by Inne Eysermans
- Ioan T. Morar: ‘Autopsia Uitării’, 1977 (Autopsy of Oblivion) - rescored by Iancu Dumitrescu
- Marcela Muntean: ‘Pulsiuni’, 1983 (Pulsions) - rescored by Céline Gillain
Khidja (live AV show)
The duo Khidja take their name from a number by the American, latin-influenced funk band Mandrill. That’s where the similarities end, though; these Bucharest underground favourites have created an extremely personal blend of Turkish disco, futuristic dance, traditional lautareasca and kraut from another universe. Khidja will play a live show with impressive projections, performings songs from their latest collaboration with Balabas - released on the experimental Malka Tuti label.
Eirwud Mudwasser (dj-set)
Eirwud Mudwasser is the alias of the young Romanian producer and DJ Vlad Matei. He combines new beat, dub, tribal house, Berlin-school electronica and left-field Balearic to create an eclectic whole. On his debut 12”, released on Balearic Social, Matei seeks out a balance between warm, organic sounds and complex arrangements for classic synths.
Buy tickets with a discount
If you order 3 or more tickets, you will get a discount of up to 20%! Choose the events you wish to attend, buy your season tickets in one order and enjoy the discounted price!
€10 (add) / 7 (vvk)
MUSIC / minimal / experimental / soundscape / PODIUM / film
Together with Film Fest Gent & Europalia Arts Festival